Want to run an event or have a meeting please book with us!
If it’s not on the calendar it’s not booked!
We’ve accumulated a modest amount of followers on our Facebook and Twitter pages, but you might also be interested to know that we’re a real shop, with real coffee and real conversation©, so if you are one of those who has liked us on Facebook but are yet to drop by, today is the day!
The Hydra is a community bookshop, coffee shop, music venue and meeting/event space on Old Market in central Bristol. As well as stocking literature on a wide range of subjects, Hydra also serves coffee grown by the Zapatistas in Mexico, a selection of organic teas and vegan friendly cake, flapjack and other sweet stuff!
Run by local people as a workers co-operative, the shop grew out of Bristol Radical History Group and other similar networks across the city. We also run events and aim to be a place where people can come meet and chat, read, play chess and drink coffee.
The bookshop provides a meeting space, as well as an outlet for independent non-commercial publishers and authors to make their books and ideas accessible to the wider community. These books are on topics ranging from politics, history, feminism, animal rights, environmentalism to novels and biographies as well as pamphlets and magazines that it may be difficult to track down in the usual high-street bookshops (if you can find one!)
Are you looking for a place to hold an event or are you part of a group looking for somewhere to have meetings in Bristol?
One of the major aims of the Hydra is to provide a space which can accommodate and promote public events, meetings and discussion.
The room comfortably seats around 35 people and we can also provide a video projector and screen, should you wish to use them. We charge a flat rate of £10 per meeting for regular meetings and £12 per hour for public events.
We also offer public or confidential PO Boxes for groups at a rate of £20 per year.
If you would like the Hydra to host your event or meeting please give us a call during opening hours on 0117 3297401 or get in touch via the form here.
- 21/11/2017 7:00 pmSurrealist Double Feature: Entr'acte & Le sang d’un poète
- 22/11/2017 7:30 pmBristol Songwriters Circle
- 24/11/2017 7:00 pmRebel Choir
- 26/11/2017Hydra is SIX years old!!
- 26/11/2017 2:00 pmImmigration act working group meeting
- 26/11/2017 7:30 pmBilly Liar / Andy Thomas' Dust Heart
- 27/11/2017 7:30 pmRemembering the Real WW1
- 28/11/2017 8:00 pmSoft Cabaret, Storytelling Variety Night
- 30/11/2017 6:00 pmBook Launch: Tear Gas (Verso Books)
- 02/12/2017 8:00 pmCold Boys + more TBA
- 06/12/2017 7:00 pmFilm Night: Hearts & Minds
- 08/12/2017 7:00 pmRebel Choir
- 10/12/2017 10:00 amSunday Assembly Bristol’s Annual Yule Rock
- 10/12/2017 7:00 pmParadises of the Earth: Documentary on environmental justice struggles in Tunisia
- 12/12/2017 7:30 pmRemembering The Real World War 1